Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mom Gear for Babies

Not that I am the Mom Queen (like Prom Queen but no tiara or elbow wave), but people ask me a lot about the baby stuff I chose so here is my list of chosen products and why (please note, bebe is only 8 months old so I have limited stuff experience):

1) bottles by Born Free. They are BPA free and don't leak. Luc also never got gas from them (they have some kind of weird insert thing to reduce air consumption). Seriously, all these leak-proof claims are lies, damn lies and statistics. We tried Dr Brown (also great for less air consumption) and they leaked everywhere.

2) cloth diapers. I know, I know people get all weird about this choice (and I don't know why some of the disposable people are so crazed about this decision. I don't try to convert others, this is simply my choice. So lighten up, Francis).
We are fans of Bum Genius 3.0. They are a pocket style (no weird rubber pants which seem gross and unhealthy). The 3.0 have snaps so they are good from bitty to potty training.
Here is my rationale:
1) Baby boy has never had diaper rash. Not once. Seriously.
2) Better for the environment.
3) The initial $ investment is higher than disposables but they end up lots cheaper in the long run. Plus, no running out in the middle of the night to get more.
4) This is the biggie. Disposable diapers have these gels things in them (like Perlite for soil). You can't eat food grown in Perlite but it is totally fine to grow a baby in it? And we seem curious as to why testicular cancer has increased so much? Plus, the gel is what makes diapers so smelly (at least to me. That chemical smell is really off-putting).

3) Good quality clothes. I know, I know babies grow so fast. They won't wear them that often. Blah, blah, blah. My thoughts are as follows: the better quality stuff deters stains unlike the cheap stuff. The good stuff wears better so you can pass it along to your other children or to your friends (pick me, pick me!). My favorite lines are Hanna Andersson (they have two sets of snaps in their onesies as well as fabulous cuffs and sleeves so babies can really wear them longer than other lines. BONUS). Gymboree (two words: turtle hat). Boden (I LOVE the hedgehog sweater that just came out). Janie and Jack (expensive but adorable. Wait for the sales if you can hold off that long). Pottery Barn Kids (I swear, bebe wore a pair of their sweater knit pants from February to July. And he grew abnormally fast). For smocked stuff (yes, I am Southern), I love BestDressedChild.com and LittleSouthernDarlings.com.

4) Sophie the Giraffe. Yes, $20 for a rubber giraffe thing is ridiculous but when your baby is teething and this makes him happy, you would give your husband's middle testicle for it. (I cleaned up and then stole that expression from an Airborn friend).

5) A Moses basket. Yes, they are impractical and babies can only use them for a short period of time but, seriously, seeing your baby snoozing in one is one of the most endearing things ever.

As an add-on to yesterday's karma blog, "Dry your clothes in the sun whenever possible. The environment and your clothes will thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment