Friday, October 30, 2009

A Fabulous Halloween Story!

This is truly fabulous.  It is not my own story but I love it (and the teller) dearly so I have to pass it along.

My cosmic twin, Ody, is originally from Nigeria.  When he was about seven, his family moved to the US so his dad could go to graduate school (brilliant people make me happy!). 

Shortly after they moved, his parents went to a neighborhood Halloween party, leaving Ody and his two younger sisters home alone.  {I know, I know, nowadays that would mandate a call to CPS but back in the day everyone did this.  Even my paranoid parents would leave my brother and me in our cribs to have drinks with the neighbors.  They would come home after every round to check on us.  Those days are SO GONE now -- sadly}

Anyway, the doorbell rings and Ody answers it ONLY TO FIND GHOSTS, GHOULS AND WITCHES.  Fortheloveofgawd; panic ensues!  He immediately rings his parents who come rushing home and are horrified at the spectacle of goblins running the streets.

His mother sorts out that they going door to door and begging for food.  This is how it plays out in her mind "Here in wealthy America, children are sent out to beg for food while in costume so as to hide their identity."

She immediately starts doling out the staples for these poor children.  Why give candy to hungry kids, they need something more substantial?

Imagine being the child who gets home from Trick or Treating with frozen chicken and a can of green beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment