Friday, November 6, 2009

More on Bitching...

About yesterday's blog... the intent was NOT to cause an argument. I totally get people having the random bitch fest about their honey. I do it (mainly with Kim) about Sweetness's inability to hit the hamper with his socks and the fact that he can't seem to recall that paper towels go in the compost not the recycling. I was referring to the folks whose every phrase is a complaint. Instead of the perpetual motion machine, they are the perpetual complaint machine.



Here is a word to the wise. Bitching non-stop does not make you seem funny or martyred. And the problem with burned martyrs is that they stink. I will give you a minute to get the double entendre of that one. I stole it from Vicki Clark at an AJLI Conference. LOVE her.

We all know them, the people who harp about everything in their life. I dread being around them because they totally suck the life and energy out of a conversation. How about we all make a commitment to be bitch-free for a week (or at least a couple of days)? Really what can it hurt?

I am telling you it will change your life. The universe loves an optimist. You will have to trust me on this one; I am the universe's fair-haired girl. I am the one who gets the business class upgrade on the transatlantic flight without even asking. I am the one who goes to Whole Foods to buy crab legs and, bonus, they are on sale for 50% off. And I have the best parking mojo around.


This is not to say that the dog does not sometimes poop on my floor (note to self: do not change a bulldog's food overnight. This causes some really nasty issues on your Persian rugs) and, God knows, the baby does some totally annoying baby things... but these incidents simply are not entitled to ruin my entire day. One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard was "if it is going to be funny in five years, make it funny now."


When people read about the Great Chocolate Incident of '09 (blog posting on October 29), I was surprised at how many people asked me if I yelled at the baby for making such a mess. Really? Does yelling at a 10 month old work? What, exactly, are you hoping to achieve with that? To me, it would only mean tears mixed with the chocolate/drool combo. When I said that all I could do was laugh, most people were shocked that I found it funny.

But hilarious it was and always will be. Yes, it was a total goopy mess but, ultimately, the funny overrode the messy in my mind. Plus, when I started laughing sweet bebe started laughing too (I think initially he might have been a bit nervous about my response since there was that awkward pause while he stared at me and I was wondering “what the hell…”).


Additionally, for those of you who don’t know, my son’s laugh is about the sweetest sound on the planet. It, literally, bubbles up from the bottom of his belly and spills out uncontrollably. It is the audible version of pouring too much Coke in a glass.


And why not look for more of the happy-makers in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment