Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thanksgiving 9

As Hubby lays in bed with a cold...

Ungrateful side note:  Has anyone else noticed that, as a general rule, men are fine with serious, life-threatening wounds but are totally knocked out by the common cold?  Honest to God, Hubby was mortared/rocketed in Afghanistan and that was on his list of "no biggies."  However, three shoulder and knee surgery later, he is flat on his back from a cold. 

You would think the world was ending.  Seriously, I had a 9.5 pound baby and 36 hours of labor without anesthesia and I complained less than Mr Runny Nose.  I mentioned once "Oh dear God this hurts" and I assumed that he would be able to recall it, preferably for the rest of his life, or, at the very least, the rest of the event.  But the converse is not true.  He is compelled to remind me every time he regains consciousness that he does not feel well.  "Yes, Sweetness, the fact that you have been asleep for 24 hours would indicate as much.  However, you will be happy to know that I got the memo the first 300 times you mentioned it."

But back to gratitude.  I am so grateful for my health and the health of my loved ones.  Cold dramas aside, we are all crazy healthy and, for that, I am so, so happy.

People often ask me why I am so laid back as a mom.  I finally concluded that when you face your worst fears, you really stop sweating all the small stuff.  Sweet bebe got RSV (a nasty lung infection as in his pulse ox rate got down to 28) and spent 17 days in the ICU when he was 2 weeks old.  When a nurse says "If he makes it..." Well, you don't get upset when the baby eats some dog food.

And, finally, since I often rant about food ... a friend of mine asked me "where do you get your prescriptions filled?"  "Uh, we don't have any prescriptions."  "Fine, where do you get the baby's medicines filled?"  "He has never had prescriptions either.  So, I guess you could say that we fill them at Whole Foods in the kefir and spinach section."

No comments:

Post a Comment