Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Dehydrated Godmother

After bebe was born, my bff's visit overlapped a bit with my mom's visit. I had told my mom that I was going to ask Kim to be bebe's godmother. We were dropping Mom off at the airport and Kim went inside to go to the bathroom (she now properly hydrates to avoid altitude sickness, please see my blog entry from August 12, Adventures in Friendship).

My mom, ever the optimist, asked "You think she's coming back?"

Me: "Well, yeah. Her flight is not until Tuesday."

Mom: "I think she is Splitsville." {Somewhere, somehow my mom might have been cool in the 70s.}

Me: "Splitsville? Seriously? And besides, she left her handbag in the car; Kim might abandon me but she would never leave Kate (Spade) behind."

Mom: "I think she cracked under the pressure of you harassing her about being godmother. People don't want to be bothered, Joy."

Me: "Hummm, after 22 years of friendship Kim is fleeing the scene without even her handbag because I asked her to be in my baby's life forever? Doubtful, Mom. But if Witness Protection brings her back, I will let you know."

Mom: "You optimists are a bunch of asses."

At this, Kim comes toodling out of the airport. I swear, my mom was equally shocked and disheartened that, yet again, the universe did not teach me a lesson about thinking the best in people.

No comments:

Post a Comment