Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Oktoberfest

I had just started my new job with a software company when I get tasked to go to Munich. During Oktoberfest. Sure, I love a good party and it will be great to have something fun to do after work. {This was before I realized that there is no "after work" when you are a software consultant. Who knew?}

So, some guys take me to Oktoberfest. My idea is to see the sights, eat something, people watch. Their idea: get drunk and meet up with hookers. Hummmm...

We {shock of shocks} get separated. I have no idea why no one wanted me tagging along during their tete a tete but, for whatever reason, they did not.

I am done people watching so I decide to head back to the hotel. Only to realize that I don't know the name of the hotel because the people that I came with not only made my reservations but were going to take me there. I get on the phone with a travel agent asking for hotel reservations for the night.

The lady LAUGHS at me. Laughs in a really mocking tone. "You do know that it is Oktoberfest right now, don't you."

"Yes, I am well aware that it is Oktoberfest. Frighteningly aware of this tidbit, in fact."

"There are no hotel rooms within 300 kilometers of Munich."

"Are you sure? Can you try again?"

At this point, Eva Braun cackles and hangs up on me. Fabulous customer service, thanks, darling.

So, I spend the night in a park. And Autumn is freezing in Germany. I have new sympathy for Mary and Joseph during their travels. I realize that I was not in labor nor was I riding a donkey. However, they did not have several drunkards throwing up around their park bench. Nor did the Holy Family have to smell burned 'wurst all night. Overall, I think we are even in the realm of suffering.

The next day I trot into work wearing the same ensemble as the day before and someone notices it. He assumes that I have also spent the night with "a friend" and starts to tease me. I explain that I would have HAPPILY paid for a room complete with hooker had a room only been available, but instead I stayed all night in a public park. Like a hobo. A really poor hobo. Who does not know the system.

I did not have to buy drinks for months... no one can facilitate a guilt trip like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment