Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream

Seriously, I have had sex that is not as good as this ice cream.

And, yes, these recipes are mine so I can publish away.

Finally, SHAMELESS PLUG, the new Junior League of Colorado Springs cookbook will be available in a week. If you want one (and several of my recipes are in it), I am happy to mail it to you (hell, I will even autograph it for you -- ha). The proceeds go toward our community programs. Thanks for supporting the JLCS and all the great work we do!

Back to the sugar rush...

8-10 ounces wicked good milk chocolate (imported? expensive? hard to find? perfect! You can also use Mexican chocolate). Buy extra, for sure, you will snack on it while cooking.
2 cups half and half
2 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1.5 Tablespoons vanilla
.5 - 1 cup chopped almonds

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and let it cool. Truth be told, I never do this over a double boiler even though I know I should. I just do it over low heat and watch it constantly. Some would say I even fret over it. You choose.

In a large pan, heat the half and half and the cream to boiling and remove from heat. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks (cook off the whites for your dog, it is great for their coat and you don't feel as wasteful as you do if you toss them down the sink) until they are frothy (I love the word "frothy"). Mix in the sugar and then the dairy.

Heat this over low heat for 10 minutes (probably less at sea level) until it thickens. The key is low heat since you are cooking egg and they will, essentially, scramble if you do it on high heat. Once it is custard-esque, remove it from heat and add in the chocolate, vanilla and cinnamon.

Chill this for at least three hours before you put it in your ice cream maker. After it has churned for a few minutes, add in the almonds. When I do it before that stage, they seem to get all clumped together.

No comments:

Post a Comment